Wall Components

Jbscalia

I’m a basic newcomer to Vectorworks, but I have had extensive experience with Bentley’s Microstation CAD system. What I’m try to is get a first story wall to line up over the basement walls. My wall is a custom wall I created which has, going from the most exterior surface  to the interior:

1) 0.5” Hardie Plank Clapboards

2) 0.5” air gap

3) 2” Rockwool Warmboard

4) a vapor barrier

5) 0.5” plywood or OSB sheathing

6) 2x6 studs @ 16” o.c. Cavities filled with fiberglass insulation

7) 0.5” Gypsum wall board

the basement walls are 10” cored Insulated concrete forms (ICF).

what I would like is to be able to do is specify which component layer lines up over which component layer, if this make sense to anyone, say 

Lining up 0.5” plywood with the edge defining the 10” concrete core, so that the exterior 2” ICF poly will directly match with the edge of the Rockwool. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure how to line up these things, but in this case the edge of the Hardie Planks will be about 1” outside of the ICF edge. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

jay

Edited by klinzey
Edit post title

I think, not directly.

AFAIK there are some options, at least while placing a Wall, to set an offset

to middle/placing line and such things. So you may still need to do some math.

I typically prefer the simple silly approach,

I would just calculate the desired offset between Walls,

(outer border or from mid line)

default align them when placing and

manually move (by points) the Walls later to the desired position.

Edited by zoomer

@zoomer is right you have some options for how the walls are set up to insert which should allow you to achieve what you want:

You can use 'Custom Control Line Mode' + set an offset from the centre of the wall in the 'Insertion Options' tab of the Wall Preferences:

1953313502_Screenshot2021-01-31at12_55_09.thumb.png.35ca72cad66c69f7a3d4fe62b19b9fa7.png

and in this way set up both walls with the appropriate offset from their centres to get them to line up the way you want.

Or if the core components in the two walls naturally align in some way you can use 'Core Component Control Line Mode' to specify for example that the two walls line up along the left hand side of their core components.

40814437_Screenshot2021-01-31at12_57_40.thumb.png.5259b7dd75ccfe78bf7f16afc2294753.png

Or you can use a combination of both modes + offset the walls from the centre of their core components rather than the centre of the walls as a whole.

It sounds to me in your example all you need to do is set the top wall to insert to the left hand of the core component + it should line up the way you want on top of the basement walls