No pattern or motif once after extrusion

Frauke

Question

Hello,

I fairly new to VectorWorks and am using the students version. I think I get most of the basic features now. Accept one thing. 
When I make, for example a rectangle in the 2D - non-renderd view. I give it a standard pattern, colour or motif like brick or wood and I apply extrusion the motif, colour or pattern disappears. And just the ourside lines are visible.

When I render (OpenGL for example) the solid colour returns but the pattern and motif still don't come through.  

I have tried to firgure it our on my own, googled it and watched some yourtube tutorials but I can't seem to find the sollution or problem.

Can anybody help me? I have uploaded two images online: https://postimg.cc/gallery/8fypkPH. One of the non-renderd view and one of the OpenGL view. 

Thanks so much.

Frauke

2 answers to this question

This is just a feature of extruded (+ other 3D) objects: they don't display a fill in 2D.

Depending on what you're doing you could use a Slab, Floor or Roof Face instead, all of which display as solid in 2D. Or convert your extrude into an auto hybrid (AEC>Create Auto Hybrid): auto hybrids give you loads of control over how a 3D object displays in 2D. Or another option which may or may not be appropriate for what you're doing is to create a hybrid symbol where you give your 3D object a 2D component which will display in Top/Plan (plus components for other orthogonal views as well if desired). 

Patterns, hatches, gradients, tiles + image fills can only be applied to 2D objects. Textures can only be applied to 3D objects. Solid fills (colours) can be applied to 2D + 3D objects.

(A hatch CAN be applied to a 3D object in hidden line render mode as a surface hatch assigned to a texture).

• Like 3