"Manage Cable Parts" Dialog

Sam Jones

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The manage cable parts dialogue serves several purposes,

• you can edit the data record of cable parts in your current file, double click on the part to access the complete record or use the direct list editing function to edit a single field. If you want the changes to be used in more than one file you will need to edit the background library files and then use the update button to import the changes.
  • you can restrict which parts are usable in the current file by un-ticking the part in the use column
  • it provides a count of the used cable parts in a file, click on the count column header to sort by used parts
  • the update button will refresh the manager and load any changes in the cable parts library files into the tools, this will permanently update the cable tools and manager. Due to customer feedback  this process is manual to make sure that any library updates do not accidentally cause problems in active files.
On 12/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Sam Jones said:

How do I get it to display only the cables I wish to use?

The easiest method is to assign the parts you wish to use to a cable set and then use the filter text field to filter by the set name, I would recommend changing the assigned set by editing the parts library files, as then you only need to do it once.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Sam Jones said:

When would I see on the drawing the image in the Preview thumbnail?

The only other place this is displayed is in the cable tools library folders, the 2D symbol is a placeholder to make it easier to identify the part in the library file and only the attached data is used by the cable tool.