DTM render and road. v12.0.1

My test site model is generated from four nested 3d poly contour lines, each shaped like a capital letter "D". The smallest contour fits in a 50' square. The contours are parellel to the xyz plane and have z heights in 5 foot increments with the largest contour at 15'. This makes a sort of basin with a steep grade or slanted wall at the deep end (straight part of the "D") and a gradual slope to the shallow end. The model behaves in unintended ways:

In 3d triangle (colored slopes) mode the lines between facets render unless I switch them to zero line weight in graphic attributes. I have a Nature turf texture applied and render in Renderworks. Are there other ways to conceal the lines and just render the surface?

In Extruded Contours mode, the texture does not apply, and the surface appears somewhat transparent revealing yellow lines at the contour edges and risers. More lines follow around the skirt. In oblique 3d views the lines of far skirt are visible through the surface. No setting in the graphic attributes pane shows the yellow line color and all the 3d line weights are set to zero.

How do I get the texture to map and the yellow lines to dissapear?

I drew a nurbs road (tried both nurbs road tool and convert polyline to object command) in TOP/Plan view and tried to "Send to Surface" but it did not send. The entire road stays at zero height. If road selected, Send Stations to Surface command in OIP returns error: No DTM present.

If I select the site model and choose the Validate Data command, an error pane returns: Site Model Object, Internal error! Report this to NNA as a Bug

Thanks for any comment or help on this. I will apply it to the large and complicated site model.

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Benson,

1. The rendering you see (lines) is normal. Does the zero lineweight approach not work for you?

2. If you're going to be texturing your site model, you should use the 3D Triangles display.

Please report any bug using the email address bugsubmit@nemetschek.net .

Thanks!

Thanks Robert - Zeroing out the the line weights works ok. I just thought there might be a render mode with no facet lines for a prettier visualization. Drape surface might work, but roads and other site modifiers would need extra effort. oh well.

Any thoughts on the transparency of the surface in extruded contours mode? Is this intended? I selected a green fill color in graphic attributes pane and switched off the texture in OIP. No shadows, just yellow lines on a transparent green surface. Update command makes no change.

Any thoughts on the road not projecting onto the model surface? or the notice that no DTM is present? Isn't the site model a DTM? I must be using the tools incorrectly.

-B

UPDATE: My source polylines are big part of the problem. I found they were not closed and had stacked corner points. When I corrected the polys, most problems and error messages went away. Especially that strange transparent render of extruded 3d contour mode - now it renders opaque with shadows and no visible "hidden" lines.

Here is what is left:

1. The nurbs road does not send to surface, or I misunderstand the intent of the tool: If a road is created flat, on the working plane, say, it stays flat and parallel to its creation plane. The Send to Surface command causes the model to dig or build to the road surface. I can raise or lower the road to different heights and in 3d front or side view mode, but that does not map to the surface. The road does not map onto the DTM and rise and fall with the site contours. How do I make the road follow the contours?

2. A click to Update in the Site Model OIP causes an error pane: Two Overlapping Pads. The screen shows the source polys and a curved arc. If I close the error pane and search all layers for that arc, I can't find it. How does one find and correct overlapping pads?

Thanks for any comment.

-B

[ 03-27-2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Benson Shaw ]