Can't break my layer links...

Ok, this is driving me batty.

I don't know how I'm really supposed to (nondestructively) get rid of layer links anyway...

But I've been fooling with this file, which was originally done in v8.5, all day long, and cannot figure out how to get it "working".

http://www.turnerdesign.com/vectorworks

If anyone can give me some kind of clue how to get rid of the layer links in this file I'll... I'll... I'll send pie, or something...

thx

Andrew

Turner - I have downloaded your file and opened it up. I think I have deduced what it is you are trying to do.

All Layer Links do is create a hotlinked 'virtual copy' of information from source layers onto a specific destination layer:

- The linked information on the destination layer cannot be edited on that layer. Any changes you require have to be made to the real information on the source layer.

- Any changes you make to the real information on the source layer(s) will be reflected in the Layer Linked 'virtual copy' on the destination layer.

- Each Layer Link can be selected and when unlocked it can be deleted. This does not delete the source information. All it does is delete the hotlinked 'virtual copy'.

I suspect that what you want to do is remove the link and retain the information on the destination layer. This cannot be done. This is because it is 'virtual' information and not 'real' information. If you want to transfer 'real' information to another layerer so that you can edit it independently of the original information use Copy and Paste in Place. (You may have to adjust its Z heights depending on the Z heights of the source and destination layers.)

[ 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

You can even duplicate them on a layer and each copy updates as the source information changes. I use multiple copies when I am doing 2D working drawings. I locate the copies so that I can do the elevations and sections in a single string across the drawing. When they are completed I compose the elevations and sections onto drawing layers. (You can also leave the elevations and sections as they are and use viewports to make up the drawings.)

I also use rotated Layer Links when the plan is not othoganal to the page. I draw the plan orthoganal in a separate layer and then Layer Link it into the required drawing layer. After unlocking it can be rotated and positioned as required.

NOTE: If there are multiple layers in Layer Link you should group them together after unlocking them so that they are a single entity to be moved and rotated.