Why is this roof face being clipped "backwards"?

See attached file. Two roof face objects - each is associated with the two walls beneath it. They are the same except on one I've fitted the walls to the underside.

The roof faces are set up so that their two lowest components are clipped by the walls, set to the inner face of the walls.

But they are being clipped the wrong way around: they are present through the wall thickness and absent within the "room".

Why is this (I have this working OK with other wall/roof combinations in the same model, from which I've extracted these elements)?

493525964_ScreenShot2020-08-24at17_52_18.thumb.jpg.cb0b63c2eda7323aa91351b5809ec2a6.jpg6825481_ScreenShot2020-08-24at17_51_38.thumb.jpg.d7bdf0eb10c357fd76952a53f0921d3b.jpg

wall_assoc.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 8/24/2020 at 1:15 PM, line-weight said:

See attached file. Two roof face objects - each is associated with the two walls beneath it. They are the same except on one I've fitted the walls to the underside.

The roof faces are set up so that their two lowest components are clipped by the walls, set to the inner face of the walls.

But they are being clipped the wrong way around: they are present through the wall thickness and absent within the "room".

Why is this (I have this working OK with other wall/roof combinations in the same model, from which I've extracted these elements)?

It looks like you're in Vectorworks 2018.  Is that correct?  Is that the latest version you have?

Opening your file in 2020 and resetting the objects seems to do what you're after.  I have not tested other versions...

image.png

Hi - I am in 2018, yes. This is a project that needs to stay in 2018 for now at least.

I've got a version of 2019 too, and I've just tried in that, and 'resetting' (by which do you mean double clicking to edit the roof face, then exiting?) does seem to fix them.

The same doesn't work in 2018.

So does this seem to be a 2018 bug that there's not going to be a way for me to get around?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, line-weight said:

Hi - I am in 2018, yes. This is a project that needs to stay in 2018 for now at least.

I've got a version of 2019 too, and I've just tried in that, and 'resetting' (by which do you mean double clicking to edit the roof face, then exiting?) does seem to fix them.

The same doesn't work in 2018.

So does this seem to be a 2018 bug that there's not going to be a way for me to get around?

The only workaround I can think of for this in Vectorworks 2018 is to use two stacked Roof Face objects with different Roof Styles (one with the clipped "structure" and "ceiling" components and one for the unclipped "slate" component) and manually reshape the "clipped" Roof Face rather than associating it with the walls.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

The only workaround I can think of for this in Vectorworks 2018 is to use two stacked Roof Face objects with different Roof Styles (one with the clipped "structure" and "ceiling" components and one for the unclipped "slate" component) and manually reshape the "clipped" Roof Face rather than associating it with the walls.

Thanks, in fact this was what I was doing before I thought I'd try out using this clipping feature.

Looks like I'll just have to revisit it whenever I move to a new version of VW, and see whether it's become usable or not.

• Like 1