Lines in version 12, on a Mac

I'm considering buying version 12 as an upgrade, and have heard that the software is now compatible with OSX, in the sense that it is now "carbon". This supposedly results in true line thickness being displayed on screen and printed when the line is curved or angled, something we Mac users haven't had to this point (the lines were always wider, due to bitmapped simulation of angled lines in a grid of bits). Can any Mac users vouch for this change in 12?

I believe it's actually a "cocoa" application. Either way, it's true. There is a preference to use Quartz Imaging. When ON, VW loses the square pen altogether. Very nicely, too. When the preference is OFF, it displays with square pen as it always did.

Raymond

VW 12 Designer / Mac G4 / OS 10.3.9

As noted in a couple of articles at place like Ars Tech, up until tiger Os X rendered the old Quickdraw screen render must faster than it did it's native Quartz Rendering. With Tiger that all changes and Quartz even in software mode renders fastest.

So you maybe able to pick up a small difference on a busy screen.

The other reason would be if you don't have the option someone is bound to want it. :-)

Yep Kevin,

New in 12.

What I'm keen on is the new quartz true layer transparencies. I haven't got to try them yet (VW currently tied up in a 6 hour radiosity calculation :-O)

but: transparency = watercolour-type display effects???! I'm hoping, but I don't want to get too excited yet ;-)

Well there you go:......

just crashed VW and lost my rad calculation... so I tried the transparency thing. Looks very promising !

cheers

N

[ 12-08-2005, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

quote:

What would be the reason to leave quartz imaging off?

On my machine (G4/500MHz Dual/OS 10.3.9), panning with the mouse scroll wheel responds very slowly when Quartz Imaging is enabled - several second delay, even with only 3 objects in a file. It could be longer in a really large file, but I haven't timed that yet. I set up a toggle command to quickly enable/disable it.

Raymond