View rendering extremely slow 11.5 & 12

Dear Robert Anderson,

Yes. I have played with:

Vectorworks Preferences

1. 3d preferences to LOW (conversion)

2. retain rendering model (high and low)

Document Preferences:

1. Set resolution to reduced and bounding box

2. set pict export to 50 from 72 dpi.

Nothing helps except getting rid of the products which are hybrid 3d objects with mapped labels.

I have been talking to tech support all week about this and another matter. I am not ready to give up. I have been using Minicad since V3 when Renderworks came along I scraped Strata vision and have not used it since. However now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Strata Vision was terrible for drawing 3D shapes but it still has one of the best rendering engines around.

Regards,

Bob Tiedemann

[Confused]

I am encountering major slow downs when working with 3d objects (bottles/products) that have mapped graphic labels. I have been using Vectorworks to design POP displays, exhibits and in-store product visualizations. The preview rendering screen redraw-time has been extremely slow since 11.5 and now version 12 is no better. This problem is especially bad when working with 3d objects that have nurbs as root objects. Such as squeeze tube shapes. I have spent hours messing with my 3d files, deleting the mapped images on the products, turning the 3d objects into generic 3d objects, and ect. The only thing the works is to delete all complex 3d shapes. Any suggestions to a fix.

I have a request in for a new color board however since I told the systems manager that version 12 would fix the problem I am on his @#*#@ list.

CPU is MAC G5 dual 2 Ghc with 2.5 GIGS SDRAM

Operating System is Tiger 10.4.3

Have also experienced the same problem with Panther 10.3.9

rjtiedeman ... with your PPCG5 dual set-up ... you should not be having any issues whatsoever ... this does not bode well for those of us at the bottom of the food chain. That said...my experience leads me toward fractal symbology programming. Often people overwork the problem with complex NURBS surfaces when a single NURBS fractal will suffice to describe the required geometries.

If possible, reduce your 3D object to basic 'slices as symbols' then rotating & reflecting those little slices to make the more complex shapes. I've applied this process to numerous complicated designs ( see 3D solids postings ) with very efficient results.

Bob -

Can you send the file to me and I can run some tests on the file come Monday morning.

Also include what you are experiencing as slow ... as in how slow, speed wise.

[ 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]