How to hatch dxf object?

VWX

The objects could also be 3D polys which will not show hatches. Select one and try. (This is common when AutoCAD drawings are imported even when the source drawing was supposedly 2D information)

You can convert your 3D polys to 2D polygons using Tool / Convert to Polygons. Use Custom Select to select them.

It is a bit messy though. You will find each is converted to a group consisting of lines for each edge and a 2D polygon with zero line thickness. You will then have to either delete the lines and give the polygon a line thickness or delete the polygons and compose the lines into a polygon. You will then have to do this manually for each of the polygon groups created.

If you have a lot of them to convert invest in Vectorbit's Optimise Drawing (US$30). It has an option which converts the 3D Polys into 2D Polygons in one step. (To me the VW Convert to Polygon Menu Tool should do this but it doesn't)

[ 10-15-2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

Your object needs to be a Surface (eg plolyline) in order to take a hatch.

You might find it's imported as a group of individual lines.

My 2D dxf object is lines and arcs. I can draw similar 2D object using simply line tool (+fillet +camfer) and I can hatch that object. I don't see any difference between my new 2D object and 2D dxf object except that I can't hatch 2D dxf object.

[ 10-15-2005, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: MS ]

MS,

If you draw (for example) a rectangle with 4 lines in VW you will not be able to hatch it because it's not a surface. It will appear exactly the same as a rectangle (surface) made with the rectangle tool which can be hatched (or otherwise filled).

An arc in VW is a surface and if hatched will produce a sector surface.

When you say you drew the same shape with "simply line tool" do you mean the line tool or polyline tool?

If your DXF object is a group of individual lines etc, and as long as all the end points of the adjacent parts touch exactly: ungroup them; select them all and use the Tool> Compose command.

they should then turn into a poly line which can be hatched.

[ 10-16-2005, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]