plotting to PDF and TIFF

I recently completed an architectural competition and for that matter I produced two A0-sized drawings that I needed to plot in a service bureau.

I tried first with PDF files, but the service said that they couldn't print with reliable dimensions, their RIP software couldn't print the correct size from PDF/EPS files: I'd get a 2 to 5% smaller or larger plotted image.

Is this correct or the services is telling me lies?

I tried then with EPS, but got a file with missing objects...

I finally found a solution saving the drawings to an A0-sized TIFF image. This printed allright...

I'm sorry Paolo but this sayes more about the lack of capability of the print bureau you used than the implementation of pdf's.

Don't let their lack of knowledge or experience put you off using pdfs in the future.

You'll find that apart from people perhaps not getting correct setting organised in the printing to pdf its a excellent, almost foolproof method of printing files.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I agree that the service bureau I used somehow must have mixed experiences. It's quite a big service in the area and does a lot of big jobs, so I was a little bit puzzled when they said they couldn't print PDF with reliability: I guess it depends on the RIP software they use, that seems to be a quite expensive one. ??