Vectorworks reference grid problem

Damo

Can anyone help ! We are structural engineers and we have designed a building on the basis of a survey that had been done. We have subsequently found out the survey information is incorrect and is approx 1 degree out. The problem is all my plans are set up in ordnance datum coordinates and if I were to rotate my plans etc, all my notes and things that I need horizontal will be 1 degree out. Is there a way of telling the grid to rotate rather than the information in my drawing. If confused please say and I will elaborate.

Damo

If its a case of selecting just the non rotatable stuff do a custom selection and maybe move it all to a layer and hide that layer before applying the rotation. Dimensions (text) can be made to be horizontal/vertical, so again select all the dimensions (that may be linked to the grid) after rotation and make horizontal or vertical.

This could be a case where notes are best added over viewports? In which case hide all the notes on the drawing and copy onto a sheet layer over a viewport - then rotate the viewport 1 degree.

Does this help?

Damo, unfortuneately, this is a rather frequent problem, and the best resolution is to correct the flaw at the programming level.

1) Select All Text & Notes and cut>paste to a new layer

2) Globally rotate the entire data set by a 1? correction so that the survey is spot on and all values are 'Real'.

3) Create a sheet with Viewports of the required Layers for presentation.

Bad Data is Prohibited and must always be corrected. Sure then are lots of 'presentational' work arounds but what if this same file is accessed via WGR some time in the future... then what ?

I live by these 3 programming Bug rules:

Find It

Fix It

Forget It

I usually choose to re-rotate the text objects back to their original orientation, one at a time, after the overall rotation is complete. The problem is especially evident if the horizontal text objects are a long distance from the center of rotation, because a regular group rotation back to the horizontal orientation (zero) of those text objects (the ones you want to be horizontal) can result in serious misalignment from their previous original positions. It is probably a reasonable request to ask the code-writers to look into this common situation and write a code that will allow the necessary "individual rotations of text objects" back to zero to be done as a group (single click) operation. I sympathize with you, as I find the need to rotate survey data often; it can be a big pain in the you know what.