Class confusion

OK I've been using VW since v8.

I've become pretty good at. Even doing some decent 3D renderings.

But if I still can't get my classes to do what I think they should.

Current delima.

I use a lot of symbols.

All of my symbols are created with the "none" class as their basic root.

When I draw I'll select a class I want those symbols to be associated with.

Fore example: Lighting-Fixture

I drop the symbol on the screen, and select the symbol. OIP says class: lighting-fixture.

OK, go to class options and select "grey others" and my symbol goes grey.

If I make "none" the active class the symbol is still grey.

In fact it doesn't matter what class I make active the symbol is still grey.

Class options: show/snap/mod theres my symbol in all of it's black and white.

In my class attributes I have "use at creation" checked which I thought was supposed to assign a class to a symbol when it got dropped on the drawing.

Am I nuts?

Am I trying once again to make the program do something it doesn't want to do?

[Confused][Confused][Confused]

That sounds normal to me. Even the part about it making you wonder if you're nuts.

When the "Lighting-Fixture" class is supposed to be greyed, then any object of that class is grey, and also all objects that are in any symbol of that class are grey (regardless of their own personal class).

Maybe the solution is to have an "Always On" class, and assign either all insertions of symbols to that class, or maybe assign all objects within symbols to that class, depending on what you're trying to do. You know, so there won't be two possible reasons for something to be greyed.

The class options looks at the classes embedded in the symbol, as well as the class it's dropped into.

So, as I see it, your symbol has 2 classes, and Gray Others (i.e. only 1 class active) is always going to gray one of the 2 classes you have going.

Sounds like you need to either reclass your symbols, and/or create a custom class view in a Saved Sheet.

i use a lot of symbols too, but I preassign my lighting fixtures to a class. The best way to do this is to make the symbols as you would now, but when you create the symbol, click on the insertion options and tell VectorWorks that when you use this symbol assign it to the class, Lighting-fixtures. That way every time you use this symbol it will be assigned to the correct class.