File keeps rendering on open...

A file I have been working on for quite a while has recently started asking if I want to render or go to wireframe whenever I open the file. This shouldn't be happening since I save it in plan projection every night when I close it. I've been hitting wireframe and working on the file like usual for the past few days. Today I hit render just to see what it was trying to render, and it just kept building list, rendering, building list, rendering, ....etc.

I tried it on a different machine and it did the same thing. My other files aren't behaving this way. Is there something minorly corrupted in this file (since I can still open and work and save this file)? Is there a way to rebuild the file and make it stop wanting to render every time I open it?

Thanks-

Jake

G5 Dual 2.0/2GB RAM/OS 10.4.2/ VW 11.5.1 w/Architect&Renderworks

Jake,

I've recently had a similar problem occur to a previously good file. Not only does it want to render in the way you descibed a file saved in wireframe, but when I tried changing the active class and set the class options to active only, I got my view flipping to a different orientation - and my layer scale being reset! Definitely a corrupted file!

It only takes one boolean display flag to make this all happen. Backup then Purge that file. Then WGR it to a new clean file ... layer by layer. This will give you a chance to reset all the display flags to Planview.

As for the constant Rendering, if it's a complex image FQR will take quite a while ... how's the progress bar looking?

Thanks for the replies-

David, my file is also getting funky with the layer scales. What did you end up doing with your file?

Islandmon- Thanks for the tips. I've purged several times now, to no avail. I've WGRed it into a new file, and that file is working fine in planview.

Just for fun, I set my first floor layer as the only active layer and went through class by class with other classes greyed. I found that as I made certain classes active, it would throw the layer into ortho projection and ask if I want to render or go to wireframe. When the dialog box comes up, I can see that something is selected in an area where there should be nothing. If I let it render (and my classes are set to "grey others") it will start, then show the message in the upper right hand corner "nothing to render."

Now, if my classes are set to "show, snap, modify others," it will cycle through a bunch of renders (build list, render; build list, render;...etc.) that take a short while for each one, but overall takes several minutes.

So, in an effort to get everything into a clean file, I started a new file and started copy & pasting things this morning. I have all my design layers copied, and the file opens fine. Here's the problem: I can't copy and paste my viewports. I could recreate them and copy/ paste all the annotations in them, but that would take quite a while. Any suggestions?

Thanks again-

Jake

Jake,

You don't need to copy & paste to create a new file of all your design (mod) layers.

Just WGR back to the original and then "break" the link. You'll be asked if you want to keep the information, which you obviously do.

Sorry, there's no way around recreating your Viewports.

BTW, I'd try to delete the "ghosts" you mention. (". . . I can see that something is selected in an area where there should be nothing.") Perhaps you could group all the useful stuff and then do a Select All. Then shift-click on the useful group and see if anything remains selected. If so, delete it.

Good luck,

Thanks folks-

I'm now working in a clean file. Now I just need to recreate all my saved views and viewports. I couldn't find the ghost object. I tried all the tricks I know. I even tried custom selections of various types. I couldn't find a thing. I've been using this program 10 years, and still learning new stuff every day.

Thanks for your help-

Jake

Yeah , all Links are lost with the WGR for better or for worser ; )

Hassel factor x10... artifacts in the file are a pain and these hold true from every app ever written. Recalling the famous Pagemaker 6.0 bug where a single text instance artifact on the paste board would trash the entire file !

Always be on the look out for artifacts especially from imported stuff...buried ... hidden ... invisible .. little bombs. The Render Bitmap Tool is both a blessing and a potential source of file corrupting artifacts.