making pdf's

rb,

The short answer is that you'll likely need to create password protection on a .pdf from inside Adobe's Acrobat, not from Vectorworks.

You'd do well to do a search on this board as well as the Printing/Plotting board. There are numerous threads addressing various .pdf issues.

If that doesn't give you what you're looking for, you need to provide the OS, VW version, .pdf creator/modifier software (ie, Adobe Acrobat) and hardware you're running for any more detailed answers.

Good luck,

Travis

I agree with all you said except you don't need Adobe Acrobat to create pdfs. There are alternatives, as you know and dependant on operating system which one to use.

No offence intended, not being picky, it's just in case the poster is new to pdf creation and is not as well informed as many of us existing users.

Alan

p.s. raybob, I've replied to your PM.

[ 06-21-2005, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Ray -

The VW viewer does just this.

You can open the file to view it, change the layer sto scroll through the various aspects of the drawing, and print. However, they cannot save the file, so anything they 'draw' will not affect the drawing.

Katie

Yes it's true you can manipulate PDF's but at least the "hard work" and structure held in the file cannot be accessed and reused on another project, only the image in the pdf.

What I'm thinking of is if somebody has taken considerable time to model an object etc. in 3D and wants to ensure some degree of control over its use.

Part of my work is to design exhibition stands and whilst I'm happy for my clients to have images of the designs I'd not be willing to hand over the VW file unless that was the condition of my contract.

Normally I'm contracted to produce a design. This will include colour visuals, plans and elevations.

What program I create these in does not enter into the contract, only the finished design, be it supplied as jpeg images files or printed and mounted images for them pitch with.

When it does, it's usually for other companies who use VW and it's part of the requirement of the contract, to produce working drawings from their design for example. Under these circumstances the working drawing file I create belongs to them.

I learnt my lesson years ago under the old hand drawing method when I saw one of my clients other designs, not done by me and noted the images and poses of the people included remarkably similiar to the ones I'd put into my design ;~)

Alan

Hi Delmer

Whilst I would agree that rarely is anything new these days and it would be impossible for any of us to come up with new and original concepts for every project I'm afraid I find little to be proud of and plenty to be annoyed about if somebody rips off my work and makes money from it.

You say "if it's just a business and you need to make money then protection is perhaps valuable",

so what are you in if not involved in business and can you quote me one business that does not need to make money?

So what are you or your bosses in business for if not to make money?

Making money is not a dirty word, it's what you make the money from and how you conduct your business that's important.

I make money from my design work. My clients make their money from building those designs. Their clients make money from the shows they attend selling their goods or services on the stands I design. I may indirectly even buy those goods or services myself. The money goes round and round and we each get some of it.

Along the way each makes money, buys items and services from other businesses.

It's not a rant mate, just find the post a bit naive.

If you don't even put a value on your work and the time you spend creating it how do you expect others to?

By the way what's ironic about you using a PC?

Regards

Alan

** Just checked back and the post this was in response to from Delmer has gone - don't know how or why as it was there as I responded. what gives Delmer ?

[ 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

That's true. You can always password protect the file.

Although, there's ways to manipulate PDF's too.

Alot of firms use contracts or other legal documents that state the usage allowances of any file sent. If they go outside those boundaries, then you have a contract or other legal documentation in place.