2D Reshape Parallel

I know it works because every now and then it surprises me, but too often when I want to move a polygon node or similar in a direction parallel to itself it just doesn't happen. 30, 60, 90, perpendicular, horizontal, vertical; no problem. Holding shift only ensures that it aint so. I often have to resort to drawing a line along the poly, extending it (by any number of methods) and then going back to reshape the poly by snapping to the end of the line.

Is there something I just plain have never stumbled on here?

I find that "parallel" extenstions with the 2D Reshape tool seem more difficult when the angle of the corner is oblique. (Hope that makes sense)

It seems to help to zoom in fairly close, grab the vertex you want to move and start in the general direction. Then tab to the Length data entry box and type in the distance you want to move. Then use the mouse to move the "ghost" vertex to a parallel point. You should get the dotted-line indicator when you're parallel, even though it won't "snap".

Good luck,

I hadn't noticed oblique angles being more difficult, but that could be. I have noticed that if you can get it parallel off one side of an angle then its guaranteed you won't be able to get the other side. I even thought maybe it made a difference which direction the polygon was originally drawn but that was just wrong. I've tried different combinations of snaps, initially thinking Smart Points extension lines would be the main one but found that I can't turn off Constrain Angle or Snap to Intersection, Smart Points has nothing to do with it. If the angle is close to any other constraint, 30, 60, etc. then it is likewise a lost cause. This has been a little rock in my shoe for a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions Travis, I'll look closer at those aspects.

As noted there are numerous possibilities including the edit by 'vertex only' in the OIP. I use this regularly.Once the new coordinates for the moved vertex are known , it is easy to set others. The techniques for getting the new coordinates is a matter of the orientation, etc.