Symbols as Construction Details

megan_lfletcher

Question

Hello - Our office switched over to Vector works about 8 months ago and while we have figured most things out there is still some kinks we don't quite know how to go about. 

Essentially we have a "detail library" from when we used CAD filled with DWG's of construction details we would bring in and use on projects. In VW - when first starting - I was told that it would be easier to bring these details in by having them in our work group as symbols. Well after spending some time making the DWGs into symbols and putting them into our work group, it still doesn't seem like the most efficient way to do this. When importing these symbols to the drawing space, it seems as though the annotations and dimensions alter based on the scale of the drawing space, which I completely understand, but the call out arrows are so large while the text is still small and the dimensions are all over the place. As well as the fact that I can't change the text size of the callous in the drawing space - therefore when I do make it into a view port I have to re-annotate it so that it moves with the scale. And every time importing a straight DWG instead I still have had to re-annotate it and re-dimension it once making it a view port. And when trying to import the symbol directly into the paper space this is what it looks like - ( I attached a picture )

So my question is for people that currently use this method; 

1. Where do you pull the symbol into - Drawing space or paper space? 

2. Does it work for all the annotations and dimensions?

3. If not, What is your most efficient way of using DWG details in vector works without redrawing etc. 

We need help, as it takes up way more time than it should to add details we already have drawn. 

Importing into paperspace.PNG

3 answers to this question

If you are importing vw symbols from your library the symbols should ideally be set up with the correct text and marker sizes to suit the scale they will be used.

My detail library is set up with details grouped by scale.  E.G my standard roof details are all set up at 1:5 as that’s the scale of the viewport I use to display them in the protect. 

I don’t understand why you can’t resize your call out text. I’ve never had that problem so not sure what is going on there. 

@Boh So I understand what you mean by having them at the scale you want to show them at in drawings. We don't always use the same scale so I guess that would be the issue. And I can't change callout text size in the drawing space because it is based on the scale of the drawing - only when in a view port and when changing annotations - but since the details are already annotated when importing them they cant be changed because they are not designated annotations in the viewport. I guess we would need to designate a scale before hand when making symbols. 

Thanks for your comment.