Proposed DTM construction

Pamela

I am still learning WV (having been a loyal ACAD 2004 User) Trying to build a proposed surface from 2d contours that have been generated as lines and arcs and then composed into single elements. When I go to AEC/survey input/2d polys to 3d contours it works on only about 5 of my 30 contour entities. I have tried the Tool/convert to polygons with no luck, tried to decompose, and reassemble through Tools/convert to polygons. Cant seem to get anything to work well. Any suugestions?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Vectorworks sees arcs. lines, and polylines as separate enttities. In particular, polylines/polygons are connected. You can choose a selection of lines and arcs that are connected with each other and use the "compose" command to convert them into polylines representing contours that can be used by DTM input commands.

Ok, I checked everything I want to convert, they all list as polylines, with no 3d information shown in the object info box. I have tried to then convert 2d poly to 3d contour with no avail. What now? I have even tired to convert to a 3d poly and assign elevation in the object info box.

ok after going through the motions again, I am understandng this correctly. ( I hope so because it seems to be working) I have to compose objects to create polylines, convert to polygons, and then run the aec convert to 3d contours? So far this has been working, I am correct to assume that the AEC/convert 2d poly to 3d contour specifically means 2d polygon rather than polyline?

[ 03-04-2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Pamela ]

Refer to the edited post above, but he sequence is as this.

I generate 2d contour lines from arcs and lines

Apply the TOOL\COMPOSE command

this gives me 2d polylines

I then used AEC\SURVEY INPUT\2D POLYS TO 3D CONTOURS

VW tells me there are no 2d polygons in the drawing.

I finally figured out I have to convert the 2d poly lines to polygons before applying the AEC commands.

Thanks for your help, this BB has been a God send for me.

• 1 month later...

This is exactly a question that I want to ask. This string is quite helpful, but the answer to the question is elusive. Let me ask it again another way:

I have a bunch of 2D contours that are POLYLINES.

The AEC\SURVEY INPUT\2D POLYS TO 3D CONTOURS won't work with them because they are polylines not polygons.

Is the a way to convert 2D polylines to 2d polygons?

I think this is the peice of the puzzle that Pamela is looking for.

Thanks,

Andy