Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links Read more... ×
Julian Hangstörfer

Snapping pallete toolbar

Is it possible to create a toolbar like the Snapping palette with the SDK?

We would like to create a dockable toolbar with multiple custom icon buttons for our external renderer plug-in.

We're currently using the ToolExtension functionality but that's not really the intended use and on top of that we also came upon an issue where Vectorworks eats up the first click event when it doesn't have focus but still displays the button animations for ToolExtensions. 

I do not think you can have so much control of the UI through the SDK.

(However I do not mind if someone comes up with a solution I would not see... or know.)

Not really. The closest you can get is a custom tool that displays various buttons in the mode bar. You are limited to six though.

You can set up tools to take action on the DoSetup event, which will run when you select the tool, but there is no way not to steal focus from the existing tool. Your best option is going to be menu commands.

Ok,  thanks for the information.

Advanced issues found

11 hours ago, JBenghiat said:

but there is no way not to steal focus from the existing tool.

The focus issue is with Vectorworks in general where when you click a mode bar tool while Vectorworks is unfocused it will not trigger the click event (see attached video).

I was going to quote your comment to reply that I'm getting the same behaviour on windows. on an unfocussed VW the buttons will highlight on roll over, but the first click is only focus one (not actually clicking the button) I don't know if it's an OS thing, but the Adobe products focus AND click in one.

On the quoting side of things, I couldn't highlight your post as it said "protected by grammarly". Can someone else try to highlight and quote @Julian Hangstörfer above and see if you get the same behaviour?

On 7/30/2019 at 5:37 PM, Julian Hangstörfer said:

Is it possible to create a toolbar like the Snapping palette with the SDK?

We would like to create a dockable toolbar with multiple custom icon buttons for our external renderer plug-in.

We're currently using the ToolExtension functionality but that's not really the intended use and on top of that we also came upon an issue where Vectorworks eats up the first click event when it doesn't have focus but still displays the button animations for ToolExtensions. 

@RussU Do you mean quoting like that? I have no problem (Safari on Mac)