NURBS Curves to NURBS Surface

John512

Question

I am currently working on a project in VWX 2018 spotlight and i needed to convert a structure I made into a NURBS Surface so that i could send it over to Dialux for lighting calculations some of my structure turned into to NURBS surface but some turned into a curve. is there any way to get everything to changer to a NURBS surface?

1 answer to this question

Assuming problem is that the intended result displays with blank/missing areas.

Work in a duplicate Test file or Select your structure and Paste in Place into a new blank file

Some things to try:

1.  If the structure is a collection of several components:

Select all, then Model>Add Solids, thenModify>Convert>Convert to Generic Solids

Result should be a single, solid object enclosing the volume you are trying to generate.

Now, Modify>Convert>Convert to NURBS

Result should be a group of NURBS Surfaces enclosing the entire volume.

2.  If any missing surfaces

A) Try Model>3d Power Pack>Stitch and Trim Surfaces

This doesn't always work, but worth a try

B) For any missing portion try to make a surface from it's edges:

1. Extract tool, Edge mode>Shift click each edge until all are highlighted

then Click the green checkmark or press Return/Enter

- make sure you get them all.  Might be some tiny ones.

- Group the edges and Dbl Click to edit the Group

Now, with them all selected, try Model>3d Power Pack>Create Surface from Curves

Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

Didn't work? Select them again Modify>Compose (you never know what will help)

If any/all of them composed, try Create Surface again.

Still didn't work?

Try selecting the edges in groups of 3 adjacent curves

Create Surface for each group.

2. Fake it #1 - Extract a couple curves, say left side & right side

then Loft Surface, No Rail (might need to change direction of one of them)

or, if that's too flat try add curvature via Edit ....or.....

Extract Edges Left, Right and Top, then Loft, Birail Sweep. Using Top as the Profile
                           This might require a filler at the bottom end via Stitch and Trim

or Extract Edges of this smaller blank area and Create Surface or Loft

If nothing working, post an image or a file with the structure for others to give it a try.

Good Luck!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
what could go wrong?