Framing Member Tool... Anomaly???

I'm a new user so please forgive any demostrable ignorance but...

I was playing w/ the Framing Member tool and used it to create a random object. I then went to the OIP to edit it. I input 3.5" for H and W and tabbed to the next field. This is labeled 'nominal' and contained the values [6"x6"x6ft]. Though the value highlighted, I could not edit it. Just dropping another random object with the tool and inspecting the values created showed W=1.5, H=9.25, nominal=[4"x10"x12ft]. Well, 9.25" is the dimension for 10" nominal lumber so that's all good. What is up with 4"? Shouldn't this value be 2"?

Call me an ignorant pup but, it seems to me that this field should display the nominal lumber dimensions and provide an alternate input mode for the object's values.

Can someone please enlighten me as to this parameter's true use.

Thank you.

The only thing I can think of is if the width of your rafter was something like 1.500000001. The width would show it rounded to the nearest value, 1.5, whereas the nominal would take 1.5 as the cutoff point for anything coming out od 2" stock and therefor jump up to the next standard nominal size; 4.

You are allowed to input any size framing member you might need, the nominal just tells you what you would have to buy to cut it out of.

John,

I've struggled with this "nominal" anomaly to the point I'm missing large chunks of hair on some days.

See http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001442

However, I've not had problems with the 1.5" dimension. Perhaps Delmer has a point. . .but try 1.375, or even 1.495 to see if that will trick it into the proper nominal.

This could be such a more powerful tool, especially for matieral take-offs, if this feature worked properly. Perhaps it could be set up with a few standard "nominals" and then let the user input more data for his specific needs.

Good luck,

I went back and played with the Framing Tool after the previous post and it does look like a simple programming error that the previous rafter tool did not have. I'm guessing it is written something like:

"If W is greater than or equal to 1.5 and less than 3.5 then nominal = 4"

whereas it should be:

"If W is greater than 1.5 and less than or equal to 3.5 then nominal = 4".

here's anoher little trick. Make the overhang value = .01. ( a value of '0.0' is not allowed )

This creates 'generic' rafters to be used and modified as required. Very Kool , use 'show line' to place & join , etc.

Framing by itself is not so adaptable but each of the elements is powerful. The only real limitation is that the lower 'BottomPeak'

at the rafter diagonal end only allows of a single vertex instead of 2, wierd.

Found the solution:

In the VectorWorks application folder go to

Plug-Ins > VW_Arch > Lumber Sizes.txt

Carefully read the warning. Add a 1 (or even 01) to each of the width sizes listed. 1.5" becomes 1.51"; 3.5" becomes 3.51".

I even added a new line showing 2.51" for my oft-requested 3x material.

Now joists, rafters and beams calculate nominal (and therefore volume in board-feet) correctly.

Happy day!!

quote:

Originally posted by Travis:

Found the solution:

In the VectorWorks application folder go to

Plug-Ins > VW_Arch > Lumber Sizes.txt

Carefully read the warning. Add a 1 (or even 01) to each of the width sizes listed. 1.5" becomes 1.51"; 3.5" becomes 3.51".

I even added a new line showing 2.51" for my oft-requested 3x material.

Now joists, rafters and beams calculate nominal (and therefore volume in board-feet) correctly.

Happy day!!

Thank you so much Travis. That works great (once I restarted VW).

I found it in Plug-Ins > VW_Arch > Data> Lumber Sizes.txt

That is a sweet and painless work around. I added the 3" nominal in your honor.

Thanks again.