Death of VectorWorks ?

My VW11.5 app is kernel panicing every 15 minutes or so no matter what I do. System reports show different functions with dylib dropping memory.

But I've found the answer:

In the old days when I was a beta test for little Old Minicad and worked directly with the handful of developers things were simple and version numbers went in increments of .01.

Now with versions jumping from .01 > .05 volunteering to be a Beta Tester is simply not an option.

It seems that the entire Vectorworks community is now conscripted into being unwitting Beta Testers for new functionalites that would never see the light of day unless idiots like me did the Beta on them.

In the old days there was a quid pro quo between Diehl Graphsoft and the Beta Testers. A common currency of free code exchanged. Today all we Unwitting Beta Testers get is the hammer without so much as even seeing the nail. maybe the nail is located somewhere in Las vegas.

Well that being said I can now re-launch VW and do a little more work on the file before the next crash session. See you all then.

eja

• Administrator

Hi Mr. Armstrong,

The export VectorScript functionality which is getting so much attention in this thread is simply not intended for what you are using it for. It is intended only as a tool to allow VectorScript authors a quick and easy way to generate VectorScript code from geometry as a step in the VectorScript authoring process.

I believe your long history with the VectorWorks product has colored your view of this feature, as in the past there were times when our technical support staff recommended using export VectorScript in specific limited cases to assist in some kinds of file corruption. More recently, VectorWorks files are far less likely to become corrupt and if they do, there are far better ways to resolve the problems than what export VectorScript will ever accomplish. (Workgroup referencing and the resource browser can both be used in this respect.) If you use export VectorScript, it should only be as a tool to identify objects which may have some kind of problem.

VectorScript itself (as opposed to the export functionality) is quite stable and robust and is used to implement many mainstream features within VectorWorks when used for its intended purpose.

Paul,

Thanx for your knowledgible response. And I concur. Recent crashes in one file were linked to the 'Table & Chair' PIO ( I sent this to tech ).

In the past I have used Vectorscript export to recover corrupted files involving hatchname issues. These critical issues appear resolved in VW 11.5. I'm now concentrating my efforts on identifying the PIO conflicts.

Vectorscript offers a limited yet powerful 'Open Source' diagnostic option for the rest of us. I look forward to upgrading my knowledge base.

The day I quit using Vectorworks is the same day I shall quit my Architectural Practice. Vectorworks , et al. is a big part of my Life.