Number of Viewports & Sheet Layers

We are working on a single file that has a large number of sheet layers (12) and corresponding viewports (24). We have found that creating and modifying viewports in this file seems to be getting slower and slower. Is there a problem with this number of viewports and sheet layers or maybe there is some other bug lurking in our file.

John,

My current file has 27 Sheet layers, 35 Design layers, about 50 Work Group Referenced layers (that's how we bring in our typical details) and over 100 Viewports. (Detail Sheets have 12 viewports per sheet.) The file is nearing 50mb in size.

I seem to be able to move between layers and viewports with very little hesitation.

You mention the software you're running, what about the hardware?

Hardware is a G4 eMac 1GHz with 640Mb of RAM. The file size is 2Mb with no Workgroup References

Generally our system works fine for our work. We have only had a speed issue with this file and the only thing unusual (for us) about the file is the number of sheet layers and viewports.

My query is a general one as in Autocad the more viewports that you add to a file has an affect.