11.5 Comments

Just installed 11.5

Thanks NNA for the improvements - it makes it seem worthwhile submitting items to the wishlist...

I really love the viewport-to-design layer navigation option to keep the layer/class settings, allowing you to see the design layers as they appeared in the viewport.

And at last - being able to work without the page-border turned on (guys...if you haven't found it, it's under Set Print Area from the Page menu).

The individual zooms for Sheet layers is a real winner.

I must get my disappointments in early though...

- Viewports still can't have 'black-and-white' as a saved display option

- Viewport names are still hidden away on the Data tab of the Info palette. How about displaying them on the Shape tab too.

- The main display toggles (View Lineweight, View in Colour/Mono, Edit Groups in Place) are still hidden away in Preferences. These are used constantly and we have to rely on scripts to call them to save constantly having to go to Preferences. Come on NNA - put them on the View menu!

- Grips (Selection handles) are still any-color-you-like-as-long-as-it's-black! How much programming would it take to offer us at least one alternative color? Something more clearly visible like red or blue...

Chris,

I am going to take this to an extreme, but if NNA put every "good idea" in the main program, what would be the incentive for people to write add-ons? Are you in favor of NNA providing an Industry Series package for everything?

VW has an incredible array of tools to customize the program to your heart's content. If you don't want to write your own, you can shop for the ones you like. If what you want is not out there, ask. Chances are a developer will find a way to offer what you want. Don't forget to pay him/her for the effort. If it makes your life easier, it has value.

Third party software makes VW phenomenally stronger than NNA ever will. NNA does a great job with the foundation. I think it best if they continue in that vein. Support your local developer!

Raymond

[ 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: MullinRJ ]

Mullin,

We have 40 VW users so buying/tracking 3rd party plug-ins is a pain (especially at upgrade time). Besides, a lot of them are buggy.

The point is this: display toggles like 'view lineweight' are a frequently used part of the main interface, just like switching between layers, and shouldn't be hidden away in preferences.