Thumbs up for 11.5 + 1 problem

I like 11.5 so far. The new, separate palettes for editing tools and dimensions are good, and it's nice to be able to resize them.

I've just hit one snag. When I open a file from a previous version of VW, I can't close it or quit VW unless I save it under a new name. I often open older drawings for reference or to copy elements, and I don't need or want to re-save them as v11 files.

New seperate palettes ? Have not got the upgrade but I think you'll find seperate palettes for these was something earlier versions had and it's going back to that. Just looked at old 8.5 and that was seperate palettes for edit and dimension.

Sometimes it's that old why fix it if it isn't broken rule. All in all I think they do a very good job at NNA, but don't let them know that ;~)

Kristen; I have seen no problem saving VW11 files using VW11.5. If you are referring to opening VW10 or earlier files then I expect that this is normal behaviour.

If I open a VW9 file in VW11, I will get a message that the file is being converted to VW11. I am now looking at a copy of the original, only it is in VW11 format.

This is an unsaved file. When I quit, I must either discard or save.

This is all normal behaviour to me. Is this what you are speaking of?

Files that refuse to close - I have also experienced this problem (on a Mac). Usually after I have changed to or from a black background.

The red file header button will not close the file - however usually Close on the File Menu or command W will. I have become used to it and use the alternatives- though occassionally I have had to foce quit.

I have also developed the habit of manually saving regularly - I gave up on the auto save because of its annoying habit of interrupting you in the middle of an action.

Mike

A quick tip is to change your save options from Minutes to operations, this does two thngs for you, 1) if you are working very quickly for a period of time, this will keep up with you. 2) and this addresses your issue, is it saves after a certain number of operations, so it doesn't kick you out of a text block.about the only operation I have problems in is 3d solids, where it can't save from.

I have converted our whole office to this, even those that were convinced they would hate it, love it now. give it a try and see if you like it.

ion

Thanks Ion - I will give that a go.

Apart from text blocks (where it is particularly annoying as keystrokes end up typing nothing) I have had problems in groups and also Viewports.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think I have had 'hang problems' problems whilst annotating viewports since I stopped the Autosave.

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin:

Kristen; I have seen no problem saving VW11 files using VW11.5. If you are referring to opening VW10 or earlier files then I expect that this is normal behaviour.

If I open a VW9 file in VW11, I will get a message that the file is being converted to VW11. I am now looking at a copy of the original, only it is in VW11 format.

This is an unsaved file. When I quit, I must either discard or save.

This is all normal behaviour to me. Is this what you are speaking of?

No, what you describe is what I was used to before updating to VW11.5. When I used to open, say, a VW8.5 file, it would open as "OldFileName v11.mcd". I could either save it as a VW11 file, or just close it without saving it as a new file (which is usually what I want to do, since I'm just using it for reference).

Now, the old file opens with no name at all. The top of the menu bar where it shows the file name is blank, and it's listed in the Windows menu as a blank. I cannot use File>Close or Command+W to close the file. I cannot use VectorWorks>Quit Vectorworks or Command+Q to quit. I can save the old file if I type in a new name. Then VW behaves normally. But I don't want new versions of my old files littered around.

Mac OS 10.3.4

VW11.5

OK, I guess it's a pretty esoteric problem. With a little experimentation, I've discovered that it's only old VW files on our old server that don't work. Our old server is running OS9.

VW11 files on the old server work fine.

Old VW files on the new server (OSX) or on my desktop (OSX) work fine.

Too bad most of our old files are on the old server. But I guess this probably won't be a problem for too many other people.

Well, it would be easy enough to just copy them to the new server. But we got the new server because the old server was close to full, and were planning to use the old server just for storage of inactive jobs.

For now, my workaround will be to just open old files when I want to and save them to a "Discard" folder on my desktop. At the end of the day, I'll just junk the folder.

Thank you for looking into my problem!

Oh, also, I just discovered that VW10 files are OK from the old server. It's specifically VW8 & 9 files that seem to disagree with the OS9/OS10/VW11.5 combo.