Where are the Character's/symbols

cdm

I am just learning VW. I am looking for a list or catalog of characters/symbols(for example the symbol for a hole= a circle with a line cutting through the center) I am using VW 8.5.1 on MAC.

Are they in VW? or are they located on my MAC? Your help greatly appreciated.

If you're looking for the letter omega, commonly used to denote diameter, it's found on your Mac by holding down the option key and typing the letter "o". For larger version, also hold down the shift key. This assumes the font you're using includes that symbol (most do).

Under OS9 (and earlier) there was an Apple menu item called Keycaps that would show the layout of the keyboard and when you pressed one (or more) of the modifier keys, the layout would change accordingly. I'm unaware of something similar for OS10. Anyone else?

[ 02-02-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

if you are talking about special characters or 'dingbats' (like ??????∑fl???)? use your option key with any other key on your keyboard. if you have fontbook on your mac, go to the edit pull down menu and go to 'special charatcter' to see hundreds of them. there used to be a utility called 'keycaps' which showed you what character you could get with any key combination, but i don't know if it is around anymore. hope this helps...