No sound cues, one file only

I seem to have lost the sound cues in one file. Yesterday I closed the file and reopened it and the sound came back, but today it doesn't seem to matter. (I didn't realize how much I relied on those cues to speed things along.)

Other files work fine, but I went ahead and trashed the VW preferences and ran Disk Utility (both verify and repair).

Any ideas?

Go to File>Preferences>VW Preferences.

CLick on the SESSION TAB

Make sure there's a checkmark next to "Use Sound"

If there isn't, checkmark it and click OK. Your sound will return.

If there is, check your volume control in control panel or system preferences, or increase the volume on your speakers if you have them.

Katie,

Yep, sound is turned on . . . works fine if I open another file, just not in this one.

To further refine the issue, I just discovered the sound works fine in Top/Plan but not in any of the isometric views. (I've been working on roof/fascia/soffit details for several hours without needing to switch to plan view much). Again, I can open another file simultaneously, go to Front view and get the sound cues. Just not in the current file, and just the last day or so.

??????

Yes, I am using the sound for snapping purposes and I do understand the view/layer scale requirements.

The point I'm trying to make is that the behavior, in this file only, is different from two days ago than today. I guess I'm hoping there's a file, not a global/VW, toggle that I've inadvertantly changed. I just can't seem to conjur it up!

Thanks, as always, for your help Katie. Best regards.

OK, maybe it's not a "sound" problem (isn't evidence of a problem also evidence of unsoundness?!). What seems to be missing are some of the smart cursor cues. I'll describe:

In the offending file, I go to a blank design layer & draw a rectangle. The only cursor cues I get are the corners (no center cues). If I draw an intersecting line, I'll get the object/object cue, but no angle (30/45/60) or other anticipated cues. All cues work properly in other files, even when opened concurrent w/the problem file.

Perhaps I'm just out in the twilight zone by myself on this one.

Hey Travis, check three things: 1) your constraints palette (maybe something got unchecked accidentally) or 2) the MODE bar for the cursor (at the upper left of the VW window), or 3) In prefs. there is a setting for "8 selection handles". At one time or another I have inadvertantly changed these and suffered the same confusion. If these do not help, I hope you can resolve it some other way.

Peter,

Thanks so much. I had carefully checked everything I could think of, including your #2 & #3, but I never use the constraints pallet . . . the snap to object was "unchecked". I've been trying to learn more keyboard shortcuts (to improve my speed) and have sometimes finger-fumbled the wrong keys. I suspect there's a keyboard shortcut to toggle that constraint that I triggered inadvertantly.

Are you using the sound for snapping purposes?

If so, there are limitations to snap behavior in 3d views. YOu can only snap to objects that are set to the same view and same layer scale. So you won't get the snap sound when snapping in a 3d view.