Vectorworks Origin; how to make it useful to users

mjm

Question

It's surprisingly often that I receive drawings from collaborators where their drawing seems to have little or no relationship to the internal or vectorworks origin.

When my work is for the stage, my preference is always that the plaster line, proscenium line, firecurtain line or similar be zero, zero. When the job is in a tent, a site location or hotel room, I will want to place everything in relation to a room element, landmark or site-specific item.

I find it a trial to turn everything in the incoming drawing on, unlock the locked items and then move it all to where it belongs.

It's possible that I can't see the forest for the trees here but…

I wish I could tell VW to move the drawing from a click onscreen (or other specified point) to the Vectorworks Origin.

Edited by mjm

2 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, mjm said:

It's surprisingly often that I receive drawings from collaborators where their drawing seems to have little or no relationship to the internal or vectorworks origin.

When my work is for the stage, my preference is always that the plaster line, proscenium line, firecurtain line or similar be zero, zero. When the job is in a tent, a site location or hotel room, I will want to place everything in relation to a room element, landmark or site-specific item.

I find it a trial to turn everything in the incoming drawing on, unlock the locked items and then move it all to where it belongs.

It's possible that I can't see the forest for the trees here but…

I wish I could tell VW to move the drawing from a click onscreen (or other specified point) to the Vectorworks Origin.

Yes, please. I often have to do the same. Rather than having the current Tools>Origin>Centre Drawing on Internal Origin we need a specific way to move everything to the correct relationship to the Internal Origin. Because of past issues, I always keep the User Origin and the Internal Origin aligned.

Kevin

3 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Yes, please. I often have to do the same. Rather than having the current Tools>Origin>Centre Drawing on Internal Origin we need a specific way to move everything to the correct relationship to the Internal Origin. Because of past issues, I always keep the User Origin and the Internal Origin aligned.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. The current approach to solving this issue is so fraught and takes so much time, yet, once everything is placed appropriately to the internal origin, life is so much sweeter and easier.