crash

Scott61

Question

Was just finishing up a job, produced a rendtrworks final, went to print, and the program crashed.  Every 15 minutes the box comes up to back up, so no worries?  Not so much.  Lost all my work, even beyond my manual backups, it appears the 15 minute back up (that Vectorworks programmed in and is pesky but I thought a good pest to make me save)----- does nothing.  When I try to reboot the backup file, the attached image shows what I get, the program just freezes.  I guess I will have to go back to 1989 and save AND "save as"...creating multiple files so that the program can't butcher all those files at once, as it has this one.  Restarted my computer, it is a 2014 MacBook pro, quad processor, 16Gig memory, 1 TB HD...I would guess those specs should run Vectorworks adequately?  What am I missing here?  What did I do so wrong to cause this program to crash so completely?  Programs crash rarely, but it happens, but I have not lost an entire file in 20 years!  Word crashes and brings back your document right away, Indesign the same way, why did this fail so drastically?

Crash.pdf

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I let the recovery do its thing, but it took a VERY long time. I popped it open on a machine that wasn't doing anything else at all and let it run, took about two solid hours even on a very fast iMac Pro. That message that appears SEEMS like its stuck and not going anywhere, but it did in fact recover things it looks like.