importing dwg file scale issues

help...recently i recieved a dwg file from autocad 2005. when importing into vw 10.3.xxx. my door openings dimension and scale to 36'-0" in width. they should be 3'-0". the file has been converted to auto 2000 file. what do i need to do to fix this problem. help...

chris

this has happened to me before. it has to do with the scale settings on the import dialog box. you need to set the scale to either 1:1 or the primamry scale of the drawing that you will be using (1/4" for example). what you can do now is turn on all the classes/layers, select all, and scale the selections by .0833333. make sure you check the scale text box. that should fix the door widths, and everything else. hope this helps...

Actually, you'll need to change the units. Changing the scale will only change the layer scale itself. It will not change the actual dimension of the objects.

Since the dimension of the objects is wrong, the unit specified at the import dialog box is wrong.

If you have feet selected, change it to inches. The object size is off by a factor of 12, which means feet was selected instead of inches.

Just a rule of thumb - you should always make sure the AC associate informs you of the units used to create the drawing to alleviate this problem from occuring in the future.