Vectorworks best earliest version for 2D drawing

Hi Community members :-)

I'm looking to adjust our house to add another floor (the low attic roof is going to be a somewhat steep roof). It has already been done by about 70% of the houses (which are all of 3 types) in our street, so I do have printed drawings and examples. The plan has to be approved by the city council.

So I need to draw 2D examples of the current and new situations. A few construction details as well. About 25 years ago, I used MiniCad at school quite a lot, but have dropped that career line altogether.

What is the best earliest (so hopefully cheapest) 2D version of Vectorworks that I might use that still works a bit similar to MiniCad, and works flawlessly on my Mac with High Sierra? And who has a licence for sale?

Sincerely,

Martin

The news is isn't great :-)

There is no such thing as a 2D version of VW.  I think the same was true for MiniCad.  It does 2D work very well.  But it's built for 3D.

Probably 2017 is the oldest version that will run on High Sierra.  Maybe 2016.  MacOS updates break a lot of things.

If you do find an early version of MiniCad or VW, you will also want to get some legacy hardware to run it.  (Version 12.5 on a Titanium Power Book was amazing. :))

If it were me, and I had to draw a one-off that I already had examples of, I'd be tempted to buy a table, a roll of gridded drafting velum, and a box of sticky back.  It would be cheaper and faster.  And fun.

2 hours ago, michaelk said:

If it were me, and I had to draw a one-off that I already had examples of, I'd be tempted to buy a table, a roll of gridded drafting velum, and a box of sticky back.  It would be cheaper and faster

15 minutes ago, Magnifix said:

You are probably right with the handdrawn stuff. Will need a table and some new Rotrings then :-). However, the council expects a digital application. I will probably make it in Illustrator now.

If you would prefer to use a CAD program you could consider DraftSight as it is a CAD program, free and available for Mac and Windows. It is mainly for 2D so its 3D capabilities are quite poor in the free version (it is more like 2.5D like AutoCAD LT). This assuming you would not purchase Vectorworks anyway in this case, even though it might be the better option on a Mac (and Windows)

There is a good chance that the council would prefer a CAD file over an Illustrator file if you have to submit the original file as well. If PDFs are ok then Illustrator (or Affinity Designer) might work well enough though perhaps not as efficient as a proper CAD program depending on what you want to do/draw.

Edited by Art V