working approach

mattryan

Hello forum!
I am trying to figure out how much detail to actually model and whether its better to add materials and detail to a viewport through annotations?

My example is this, I have the roof of my boathouse modelled in 3d, its an abstract shape so I didn't use the roof modelling tools but have created it from solids.

So I have defined the extents of the roof, the finished shape. Now when I cut a section through it I want to add detail such as the plywood thickness, strapping and how the truss sits on the steel beam, does it make sense to add this information via annotations? Or is it just as quick to model everything?

How do people approach this?

Thanks!

I find it depends on the project.  Sometimes I need to model each component because I need to visualize it for myself to figure out how the roof connects to other objects.  

In those cases I model each component.  With a roof style if the roof is simple enough.  

But I often find that there are too many weird circumstances so I make a roof face that is just sheathing and tile or shingles in one class, a roof face for framing in another class, and a roof face for drywall in another class, etc.

But if you already have the roof modeled, dressing up the sections is the way to go.