THICK WINDOWS IN WALL

Hi

I am running OS 10.3.3 on mac and Vw 11

I have a drawing at present with 2foot thick walls and when I insert a window symbol into it it takes on the thickness of the wall. ie the box frame assumes the whole thickness of the wall. I want to set th frame in a reveal to the outside of the wall and with a box frame thickness 6". I have tried editing the symbol in symbol edit but cannot find any means to do this. Likewise I have tried looking in the object info pallette to see if it is possible here and that has not been possible. has anyone a solution to this as the thickness of the box frame on a sash window is very relevant especially when trying to set it into a reveal and not to adopt the whole thickness of the wall. Any help welcome ,thanks.

T--- If you are using a PLUG IN (which you should be!) you can uncheck the 'USE WALL THICKNESS' box. That allows you to enter a thickness value of your choosing. Then you can enter an 'OFFSET' value which will move the PLUG IN in /out. Hope that helps...

Peter Cipes

Residential Designer

Ashland, Oregon

Hi David,

In all of my plug-ins there is a check box "use wall depth" (sorry, I said thickness in my earlier reply).

You say you are using a symbol in your post. If that is so then you will not have any options for modifying the object. BUT if the symbol was created from a plug-in, you can edit it by double clicking, which will make all of the plug-in options available again. Alternately, if you only need to change one instance of a symbol which was created from a plug-in you can select the one you want to change and go to the ORGANIZE menu item "convert to plug in object" which will again give you all of the editable fields.

If you still need more help, let us know!

Peter

Peter, I have found the box "use wall depth" which is in jamb and trim settings in the object info pallette. That now seems to work fine.

I have also tried taking a symbol from the Resource palette just to see if I can convert it to a plug in. I have tried editing the symbol but cannot find the "convert to plug in object" in the organize menu with either the edit symbol window activated or not activated. Nearly there so is it possible to guide me thru this last part. Thanks for the help

David

David, as I said in my last post, 'if the symbol was created from a plug-in' you can convert it back to a plug-in. You cannot take a symbol from the factory-supplied object libraries and change it in to something it never was. So my suggestion is to use the 'door' & 'window' plug-ins available in your tool palettes.

Here's how I use them: 1) insert a door or window into a wall, 2) edit whatever you need to via the object info palette (eg: size, trim, etc.) 3) with the object selected, go to the organize menu> create symbol. Check the 'leave instance in place', give your symbol a name, then click OK. Now you will have your newly created symbol available for use in the RESOURCE BROWSER of the document in which the symbol was created.

As a note, you may be interested to read the sections on plug-ins and symbols in your manualIt is explained pretty clearly.

Have fun!

Peter