Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Point 3D Node vs Angle 3D

So within a Marionette object I wanted to rotate a 3D symbol, and do it about just one axis.  The "Rotate" node wants an angle input.  After searching high and low, and looking at others' networks, I finally concluded that the "Point 3D" node would provide both the necessary angular input and also the ability to limit rotation to just one axis.

The "Point 3D" node is very simple to understand: it consolidates separate x, y and z values as a single point.  But, evidently, if the "Point 3D" node's output is going to an angular input, the x, y and z values are interpreted as angles, rather than distances along their respective axes.  That doesn't seem very intuitive at all...

So!  I took it upon myself to duplicate the "Point 3D" node and create an "Angle 3D" node, which (should be) nothing more than a "Point 3D" node relabeled for, hopefully, more intuitive use in the context of rotation.

My first problem was that I couldn't make any changes to the node; I got a warning about making changes to the text in a "read only referenced file."  Not sure what that's all about.  While I thought the light gray text preceded by a " # " sign was just benign commentary, I finally deleted that pesky first " #COMMAND;READONLYREFFILE...." line and, subsequently, was able to make changes.  (And that first line doesn't seem to be in older nodes, either...).

Ultimately, I think I successfully modified my first Marionette node!  (Attached).  And they say a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

If there's already an input node, or a better input node, for rotation angle, let me know.  

Also, feel free to review my "Angle 3D" node and let me know if I missed anything!...   VWIS106

01-Angle 3D Node-MLF 08-01.vwx

Edited by willofmaine