Layers and File Size

How much does a layer cost as far as file size?

I am trying to figure out this 1 project 1 file thing.  I have a ton of details and I am split about whether to keep them mostly in the same layer or split them up.  

Is there a performance issue with lots of design layers?

I'm interested too.

I've wishlisted a better layer organization/hierarchy strategy to help us get to the 1 project, 1 file solution, but until then, I cannot imagine trying to coordinate a team when files could contain 100s of design layers to navigate through...gives me a headache just thinking about it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

About 10 kilobytes each, if they're empty. Slightly larger if the layers have very long names.

Performance wise unless there is anything IN the layers that needs to be drawn, the hit is negligible, with the only real pain coming from the user having to navigate a long list and hunt for the layers they want at any given time. I'm hoping that some of the changes that came to the Resource Manager can be brought into the Navigation palette as well, letting users search or sort by attributes, name or type.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JimW said:

I'm hoping that some of the changes that came to the Resource Manager can be brought into the Navigation palette as well, letting users search or sort by attributes, name or type.

I've mentioned this in other posts...just mirroring the hierarchical functionality of classes with layers would help tremendously. I can't speak to the benefits of adding search capabilities because that would also be cumbersome. Finding a way to pair down the list into categories, folders, types, etc. would be a huge step in getting us to that 1 project, 1 file ideal. Without it, I won't even attempt project sharing or anything remotely related.

Good clean organization will set you free!

• Like 2

For me, having the design layers show up first in the drop down menus would be a big improvement to having the sheet layers on top. Or, have separate drop downs for each, maybe.

I have developed a template with perhaps a dozen design layers, and as a golf designer, 18 sheet layers, which always show up on top, requiring a scroll.  Granted, I could add the sheet layers as I go, but even so, the sheet layers do get populated as you go through the drawing.

I also have 200 or more classes with pre-set attributes.  My template drawing has exceeded 5MB, which I rectified by NOT downloading loads and loads of pre-loaded resources that I hardly ever use when updating to 2017.  Trimming the resource browser to the essentials holds template file size to under 1MB.

• Like 2