Sign in to follow this  
Robert Janiak

Create own fixture

6 posts in this topic

He,

Is it possible to create my own fixtures in Vision or VW? Sometimes I get project for vizualisation including some 'on name' devices like led par or strip led. I spend a lot of time looking for the simillar device. It would be nice to create custom simple led emmisive fixtures.

Best 

Robert

I believe this covers the creation of a custom fixture from start to finish:

Thank you, but i need export custom fixture to Vision. Now I need 1m strip led with 8 x RGB cells. I think it is not possible now. I sent Fixture request to Vision. I am waiting for answer. 

Unfortunately there is much more that goes into making a fixture than building the geometry in Vectorworks. In the backend we also have to program the photometrics, bones (if it's a mover) and we build separate geometry specifically for Vision. This results in an extremely time-consuming process, which is why we have people who only build the fixtures all day. What I can do though is pester the person who builds them for vision, and get him to send you a reply. 

1 hour ago, Stage Vision said:

Thank you, but i need export custom fixture to Vision. Now I need 1m strip led with 8 x RGB cells. I think it is not possible now. I sent Fixture request to Vision. I am waiting for answer. 

May be come in handy someone. I found similar devices.

8 x pixel RGB strip light emissive 1m I found 'Mega-Lite Brite Stripe m2'

Par RGBW 4ch i found 'Elation Elar 108 Par 4ch RGBW'

Hi All,

Generally speaking a good place to start for general fixtures is Chauvet and ETC. We have a large number of those and they do a lot of generic fixtures in different flavors from standard incandescent to RGBAWUVs. We also have our Generic section of no name lights that cover a lot of different things like Emissive  spheres of different sizes, generic Fresnels, and quite a few others. Right now we don't have a symbol library for them but if you place any fixture in Vectorworks you can then select "Other" in the mode drop down menu, then under Manufacturer you'll see a folder named Generic.