move feature?

Is it possible to move a feature after creation? What I mean is, I've made a block and cut some countersunk slots in it. I have some fasteners in those slots and in an adjacent block, I have some tapped holes. While dimensioning the part, I see that somehow I was sloppy in my placement of those slots, bolts and threaded holes. I would like to move them into their proper position. If I click on the part, all aspects highlight. I can't select just the slot, or the traded hole in order to move it. I can fix it by drawing a new solid over the slot or hole and doing and Add Solid command and then redrawing it all. It would be so nice to be able to just move the feature. Possible?

Thanks

Screenshot 2016-11-16 13.52.02.png

Jim,

I guess I need little more explanation here. In my fumbling around, I have seen the screen say I am in edit Solid Add/Subtraction mode. But now when I click on that part, it only highlights as single entity and double clicking doesn't let me select the slot or hole.

I'm guessing I have a major gap in understanding the proper workflow.

Bottom Hinge-Movable Plate

I was just messing around with creating a block, making a hole and trying to  move it. Is there some limit on when you can be able to able click and edit the feature? I am able to do it but it seems that at some point it's no longer possible.

Thanks

Screenshot 2016-11-16 14.19.36.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A Chamfer is a little different, you can use Modify > Ungroup to get at the source geometry that you applied the Chamfer operation to, this will UNDO the chamfering and give you the object you started with.

(I think that Chamfers should be double-click History items too, as most people will when they read this thread.)

• Like 1

Okay, I'll keep trying to figure it out. same would be true for the threaded hole? 

Related issue: If I use the Clip Cube, then use the View menu to look at certain faces, am I in a true normal view? So that I can snap to reference points etc. to create new geometry?

I'm finding all sorts of small dimensional errors in my parts. I think I'm pretty careful (but maybe not!) in how I place objects and starting points for geometry. 

I used the Clip Cube to isolate parts of my model but I noticed that if I go to say Right Iso view, the dimensioning doesn't snap correctly to the plane of the Clip Cube. 

should I instead be setting a working plane on the surface I want to draw on and then use  the other standard ortho views in order to get features in the aligned position I want?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, Clip Cube just visually removes objects out of your way, it does not destroy them and all snapping and selection should still function normally however you can not snap to the edges of geometry that were created by the clip cube's faces yet (this is a highly requested feature).

Setting the Plane Mode in the top center of the View bar to Automatic instead of Layer or Screen should let you draw on surfaces more easily.