Vectorworks 2016 Rendering Questions and Layer plane Views

We occasionally render Cell towers in Vectorworks. Normally we place an aerial map in layer plane and work from there. Setting camera's in the necessary locations to match the field photos.

When I switch to any view other than top plan my map disappears. The map is just a screen grab image. I have tried a new file with just the map and that seems to work.

I would like the map to stay visible simply bc it helps locate where you are looking.

I have attached the file Im working with. As soon as I move to a camera view or isometric view the map goes black. U can see the outline. You can also see the map when you zoom in and out.

Ive never had this issue in the past. I always just place the map on a layer plane. What gives?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can easily create a textured 3D polygon by using the Model->Create Image Prop menu command and unchecking the Plug-in object checkbox. That will cause the menu to create a textured 3D polygon instead of a plug-in object.

I appreciate the quick responses. It turned out it was a setting in wireframe options regarding fill opacity on planar objects in 3d Views.

This issue set aside, Im finding that with a final rendtrworks quality that the monopole cell tower seems sup par from a visual viewpoint. I love how we can match the photos with the model and place the cameras accourdingly.

We typically export image file from each camera saved view. Is there a better way to export out? See some of the attached renders. We render the pole out and do the rest in photoshop.

Is there a better method in terms of export? I realize there is tons of info on this forum, however this is time sensitive. Any quick suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by HEengineering

I see. Could you go into a bit more detail regarding this process?

Do I then simply print to viewport to PDF? Export out the viewport as and image or pdf?

Now In the interim I tried some other methods such as exporting as a PDF, where i did bump up the DPI. Is that a similar effect?

Just so many options when it comes to rendering, and were using it in a way that most don't Id assume. We really want to fine tune this process as it is a huge time saver.

While were at it Im also curious as to how texture mapping and the actual extrusion effect the output. I modeled the pole several ways but found the generic extrude to be best as it gave a true round profile. Most poles in the field have a hex type shape, however I found that not be as visually pleasing for the effect.

Based on that approach I'm wondering if I should edit the texture mapping differently as well? I have tried all the variations as far as object type and Plane seems to be the best, which i thought sphere be the preferred obj? Just looking for other approaches.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

On the Mac it is pretty easy to render a viewport, then do a command-C to copy the bitmap of it, then open Preview and choose File->New from Clipboard to get the VP bitmap out. The resolution of the VP depends on the sheet layer DPI setting.

That sounds like a nice a quick method. Im after the most visually accurate. Im finding as I toy with the texture it helps as well.

I follow the steps you suggested, but not a pretty outcome. For some reason the antennas that are rendered white in the file come out as black? and the black background comes thru as white?

Seems as I bump the DPI that does help, If I could just figure out this past from clip in preview that would be excellent.

see attached