Updating refereced files

I ask this again.

If someone is in a file that is refereced to my file that I am currently working on, Can I not update this file without having him or her to quit out the file?

I am just trying to figure out if this is the problem of our network system which is Mac X server or if this is the way it is in Vector Works that a file can not be accessed for update while it is open.

I am using VW 10 on OS X on G4.

again- We use WG Refs alot, and are on a network too. They work great.

We do notice that if a file is open and a user wants to reference it, that connot be done. The file needs to be closed first. If a file is already referenced in a target file, and a user wants to update it, this works fine as long as the referenced file has been saved. Otherwise, I don't know why you are having trouble.

'If a file is already referenced in a target file, and a user wants to update it, this works fine as long as the referenced file has been saved. Otherwise, I don't know why you are having trouble.'

This I cannot do assuming that the referenced file doesn't have to be closed while updating. The file is already referenced in a target file as you mentioned and whenever I try to update referenced file in a target file, I have to close the referenced file. I understand when you reference for the first time, the referenced file has to be closed.

Hong,

The file has to be closed for it to grab the new data from the file that has been altered.

It is not a live link meaning live changes made to the file automatically appear in your file.

You need to close both files and open the one you are working in for it to read the new data from the file referenced in.