Reference Viewport Classes

ericjhberg

Question

We use viewport references frequently to build different files without worrying about conflicting live linework. One of the most frustrating parts of this process is when you create or edit a class or layer in the mother file. When doing this, the visibility in the referenced viewport is automatically set to OFF/INVISIBLE. This is a default that I wish were the other way. It would be much easier to turn off visibilities of things that are undesirable, rather than remembering to turn on visibilities for all of the changes/updates.

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This even occurs when creating new or renaming classes in a document for local viewports. It's been the topic of some debate.

I'm on the same side as you, where I would think too much information being displayed after making class changes is a more obvious issue and more readily fixed than viewports missing classes for no apparent reason. It's a very common tech support call topic. I'll see if I can find the most recent case and see where we stand with it now.

How about a simple prompt when creating a new class in the mother file:

"Do you want this class to be visible in all references?"

or something to that effect....

What I would prefer instead is some tag for added classes and instead of a prompt to make it visible in all references that it will notify the referencing viewports that classes have been added to referenced files and that in the subscribing file you will be asked whether you want to make this new class visible or not.

Sometimes you want the newly added class to be visible in all referencing viewports and sometimes only in a few so a more fine-grained control would be nice.