shading

I have created a drawing in VW 8.5 and want to create a shaded easement. When I use the polygon tool and create the shape it is on top of the previously created itms and blocks them out. how do I get a shaded shape "under" those other layers so i can see them and the sheded area?

Under the Tool Menu is the Send Command.

You can send to back - which will send the item entirely to the back of the stacking order.

If you use Send Backward -it will send the object back one level of the stacking order - based on all objects drawn. You will need to use the Send Backward command several times to get it where you want.

Or, if the shading is done by a "Hatch" (rather than by a "Solid" or a "Pattern"), the hatch pattern can be made see-through by un-checking "Background Fill" in the "Edit Hatch" window for that particular hatch pattern. Then it won't matter if it's on top or not -- it will only consist of the hatch lines, with no solid fill.

Another advantage of see-through hatch patterns is that you can have two different types of shading that overlap -- for example, slanted lines to indicate the easement area, and stippling to indicate pavement.

Note on Send & stacking order:

The Send Back, etc., commands work WITHIN a layer. If the item to send back is in a different layer in front of the covered item's layer, sending it back won't help. You would need to move the item's layer down in the layer stacking order, or put the item on a lower layer.