Custom Light, Open GL

Benson Shaw

1. Custom lights do not render as light sources in OGL. Same result whether distribution is from ies file or user input. Is this working as designed?

2. Renderworks Spot light object can be aimed by dragging the widget arrow to a target or focus point. That arrow length remains part of the light object. Custom light can be aimed by dragging the arrow, but the arrow remains constant length, does not extend to target. Is that working as designed?

-B

I have always found that Custom IES lights do not show the IES distribution in OpenGL.

EDIT: ^^^ My recollection above was incorrect, Custom IES lights do not show any light in OpenGL in Vw2016.

It would be great if Custom IES lights did show correctly in OpenGL, as this is how Cinema 4D has worked since R12.

Quote copied from C4D R12 Help file:

state-of-the-art graphics cards can display IES lights using OpenGL
Edited by rDesign

Thanks, Tim -

Any experience when the IES is disabled and User Input is enabled?

Not rendering any light on my system in OGL.

Or maybe my graphics card is not up to it?

This laptop has two cards. When power adaptor in use rather than battery, the NVidia GForce GT 750M is active rather than the integrated card.

-B

@Benson: I thought that IES lights showed illumination in OpenGL, but I went back and double-checked in Vw2016 and you are correct - no light is shown from Custom IES lights in OpenGL.

I went ahead and filed a Wish List for item #1 in your OP.

Vw2015:

I thought I remembered seeing IES lights casting a generic spot light glow in Vw2015, and I went back and confirmed that yes — it did. BUT — it turned out to be only a buggy result of OpenGL not refreshing the lights, and was a left-over from when I changed the light fixture from a Spot to a Custom Light. The light glow wouldn't move in OpenGL when I moved the IES fixture, it was only when I deleted it that it refreshed the OpenGL. So - it appears that Vw2016 has fixed this bug.

Edited by rDesign