Curved double line tool

MHBrown

Question

This is so basic that I'm almost embarrassed to ask for it. I think remember asking for this is the late 1990s: a curved double line tool. That's the best name I can come up with, but it's easy to describe. It is exactly like the double line/polygon tool except it draws curved objects. It's also like the curved wall tool. It would snap just like the arc tool (or just like the curved wall tool). Ideally, it could switch between double-line and double-arc as you draw so you could make a series of connected rectangular and curved solids. Form-Z had this tool years ago and probably still has it. To draw a curved solid object in VW now you have laborious work arounds. Let's say you want a "C" shape that is 3" thick and 36" x 18" in size. I have to draw an 180 degree arc 36" in diameter. Draw a concentric arc, 33" in diameter. Clip the smaller arc from the larger arc. Now fill in both ends with rectangles and "add" them to the previous construction. What a pain. Give me a curved double line/object tool.

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one asking for one.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Thanks to bcd (cute name), but, no, that is nothing like the double-line tool or curved wall tool.

I'm talking about something that works like the curved wall tool at a minimum, but more like the polyline tool only instead of drawing joined curves and straight segments it would draw joined curved and straight closed shapes. Additionally, you could snap from point to point. That is what I'm asking for. I already know the workaround you suggest, but clearly that is a ham-handed way to create what I'm talking about. Using your method would require many more steps. If I could draw a complex line with the polyline tool and then use the offset tool as you suggest that would almost be useful (requiring only one extra step). Alas, the offset tool does not work on the lines created with the polyline tool, although there is no reason why it shouldn't. I was fairly clear, I hope, on what I was wishing for. I'm not sure why you suggested something unrelated.

MHBrown

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Alas, the offset tool does not work on the lines created with the polyline tool, although there is no reason why it shouldn't. I was fairly clear, I hope, on what I was wishing for. I'm not sure why you suggested something unrelated.

MHBrown

This is done to assist other users in finding workarounds in the meantime between releases, so that you are just left hanging. I encourage it fully.