Best Practices for Working with Multiple Buildings

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions of best practices when working with multiple building. I mentioned in a previous post that I am working on a multi-family building complex which uses 6 unit types to compose 15 building types.

The issue, as I see it, is that with all the various building and unit types the file becomes overwhelming and increasingly unstable. Coming from an Autodesk background, I recommended creating a separate file for each building shell and creating symbols for each unit type (within the same file)

Then we could create a master file and reference each building into the master file. However we are using these models to determine quantities for certain materials which I am told will no longer work once we reference the individual building files into a new master file.

Any thoughts or references?

Hello,

However we are using these models to determine quantities for certain materials which I am told will no longer work once we reference the individual building files into a new master file.

I have no issue creating reports in my masterfile that lists all objects from each incoming file. It might depend on how you bring those in.

I am Doing one the same where i have 8 2 storey blocks with only a few plan types.

Have used Design Layer Viewports (Exrefed) in. so a seperate file for the plan types and these get referenced in and copied around and adjusted to suit the levels that they are to be on.

The rest of the site works that is not common to a unit type goes in the main drawing on say Site Works layer.

There is a special way to control the classes in the viewports also that took a bit to understand but once done all work out ok.

if you use all 0.05 wall line weights you can control them in the viewports to bump them up. Also the elevations that come from the 3d model will also show thin lines.

HTH

Look at this post at bottom shows the Drawings.

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=42794&Number=213469#Post213469

Also help file for controling the classes int design layer viewports

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vectorworks2015/VWHelp/HTML5/index.htm#rhsearch=design%20layer%20viewports&rhsyns=%20&t=VW2015_Guide%2FViewports%2FChanging_the_Layer_Properties_of_Sheet_Layer_or_Design_Layer.htm%23XREF_27935_Changing_the_Layer

PS had trouble with the wall heights if you use storeys so stay away from them as when you bring in the viewport it relates to the storey and the wall heights will reset to 0 height. Bound by layer height I had no problems.

When you draw each unit plan set the ground floor to 0 then first floor to say 2400. Then in the main drawing adjust the viewport up to the desired level.

Edited by Alan Woodwell