Making a symbol unique

Hi,

to make a symbol unique I go to Modify > Convert > Convert to Group.

For the first time today I noticed that if make an extrude along path a symbol then you cannot make it unique in the same way as Convert to Group is no longer an option. Instead you have Convert to Plug-in Object which then does the same job (i.e. the same dialogue box pops up) as Convert to Group.

Is there a reason for this?

thanks

Edited by barkest

VW is smarter than you are giving it credit.

If the symbol contains a single Plug-in Object (which an Extrude Along Path is), you will get the option to Convert to Plug-in Object instead of Convert to Group.

If you have multiple PIOs or a PIO and other objects in the symbol, you will still get the Convert to Group.

I think the idea is to not enclose a single object in a group.

I think is has had this intelligence for a while, but maybe the menu name was just not changing.

I did not Know that an extrude along path is a PIO

Actually, neither did I. But it makes sense. In VW, basically any object that is made from other objects and controllable via the OIP is a PIO. We all just kind of think of EAP as a primitive.

You still get convert to group for solid additions and subtractions. Even a Deformed solid is Convert to Group if it is only a single object.

Maybe EAP should be Convert to Group even though it makes a single object.