Irregular edge and surface...

I was wondering if someone out there might be able to suggest to me how to create "irregular" surfaces to this table. Think reclaimed wood. Instead of a straight edge to a board, I'd like it to be slightly "wany", more natural/organic in appearance. Also, the surfaces should have more of a hand hewn/textured look to it. I believe the later is done by editing the bump of the texture in the resource browser, although not certain. I've tried creating the wany edge by using the freehand tool and then composing a rectangle. I probably could pull that off but it was quite difficult. I though there might be a quicker way, one I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance for any help on this...it's always appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're looking for a Displacement mapped texture, which is inside the Bump shader.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1314/Quick+Bump+and+Displacement+Mapped+Textures

The video covers it very briefly, I can explain more if need be. There are a large number of displacement mapped textures of reasonable quality available for free from sites like Maxwell Render which I use regularly:

http://resources.maxwellrender.com/search.php#page=1&mode=1&id=5224&search=wood&v1=0&v2=0&tipo=

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The trick is getting the right displacement height, and making sure the object is scaled realistically. Also, make sure in your rendeirng mode you have enabled displacement mapping, I dont think Final Quality includes it, but dont turn it higher than "High."

Very High looks a LITTLE better but in all seriousness can increase your rendering times 10x or more.