Table & Chairs material applying

AlanW

Hi,

Am using a table and chair from the Tool set and to apply material to each component I can only see the 4 options to apply materials by class, Table Top, leg, Chair seat & leg.

Without creating separate classes for each of these is there a way to add materials without exploding the oobject??

Thanks

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Alan,

I might be wrong, but if you want to stay with the plug-in object, I think that's what you get...

Exploding it, as you've stated, will provide for more "granularity" in mapping textures.

Once I go beyond the "conceptual design" provided by the plug-in objects and when I get more persnickity, I may want the grain to run in the proper direction, for instance, something that's not always possible with the "stock" PIO, so I just explode and go...

I'm all about creating as many classes as it takes and then managing them with Saved Views.

Wes

To deal with PIO's that have never been able to run woodgrain in the correct orientation :( - I create two duplicate RW textures for the wood textures, one of which is rotated 90 degrees. That way I can control whether I want a horizontal or vertical grain just by switching that part to a different 'Style' class.

Exploding a PIO to correct the texture mapping should be a last resort, as you've taken a 'smart' object and made it 'dumb'. Unfortunately it's the only way to truly have control over its appearance.