Lean Manufacturing

i just saw some videos on this stuff... i seriously think that annotations and dimensioning drawings is a waste of time IF one has an accurate model AND IF there was a way to read the model on the job site. showing up with a roll of drawings is going to be like showing up with an encyclopedia set. who today has such a set.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When I started working here, I came from a purely technology background. When I was informed that architects still printed to massive rolls of paper, I almost didn't believe it, but then I learned more about the industry standards and how slow they are to change (at least from a tech perspective where I'm used to seeing products be born, live and die within 8 months) and adopt new technology.

The main issues seem to be agreeing upon file formats of any kind, that's easily 30% of the training questions I get today, questions regarding interoperability.

I learned how to hand draw dimensions on paper with a T-square in high school, I actually found it rather relaxing, but I never had to then push those drawings through the rest of the production chain, from what I hear that's where the fun in designing stops and the headaches start.

They always talked about the paperless office, but its only the production of the final print that's changed. A lot of our contractors use an iPads but there is always a set of drawings laying around for all the subcontractors to refer to. Until they all have ipads then the idea of no paper drawings laying around is a long way off.

Tender drawings are now sent out electronically and that saves a lot of trees. You would think that the Government (Councils approving Projects) would be the leader in this but NO, one Council here in Sydney still wants 10 sets of drawings and also a disk, and they profess to be "Green"

One good thing that we do is face time the builder on site if there is a problem and we can see what's going on which can solve some things without a site visit.

I even set up my phone in front of the computer screen and have a video conference with a Client or consultant.

So we are getting there but its up to us to use the technology at our disposal.