Exporting to Dwg from Sheet Layers

Markvl

Question

I need to export a townhouse project to an engineer. It seems sending floor plans is not a problem as it comes out as you expect but when exporting elevations all I get is a 3D wire frame mess. Now I have tried exporting as 2D graphics in model space but then it's just referenced jpgs.

Is there no way to get elevations to become clean 2D linework without the 3D mess behind it?

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you are in a 3D view (Which in Vectorworks, elevations in a design layer are) you will get 3D geometry exporting to DWG.

You should be able to create a sheet layer viewport of your elevation and export it however, which should just be 2D.

You can also convert viewports or other geometry to lines, but I don't think you NEED to do that for DWG export.

Sorry I should have clarified. I have been exporting from sheet layers, not design layers. The attached images are what I'm getting. I just don't see any other options in the dialogue box.

1st pic is done by "exporting viewports as 2D graphics in Model Space".

It just produces jpegs.

2nd pic is not using "exporting viewports as 2D graphics in Model Space" but I'm getting a wire framed mess.

3rd pic is a screen shot of my exporting options.