save user's defaults

ray isaacs

Question

user should be able to set and save personal settings as defaults for many vw tools. for example, when creating a dtm, i have my standard set of settings for 2d and 3d preferences, graphic properties, etc. (and there are many). i should be able to set these once and save them, rather than having to tediously change them every time i create a dtm.

cheers,

ray

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Some tools do this but there is an overwhelming majority that does not.

Should these defaults normally be document-specific, global (any document you open on that machine,) or determined by a template?

Or would a user benefit from being able to determine which of the above options occurred for each individual tool?

I think global standards is a cool idea.

Being able to set Tools for Stairs, Windows, Doors, etc.

setting the Blank file template (f.e. units) etc.

not in template files but external config files

that can be imported/adapted in future releases

would be nice.

F.e. for the Door Tool, the settings are saved in the plugins

configuration. They will be useless with the next VW release.

Should these defaults normally be document-specific, global (any document you open on that machine,) or determined by a template?

Or would a user benefit from being able to determine which of the above options occurred for each individual tool?

ideally the latter, let user determine. but, if limited to one, i think global. there are standard settings that i have arrived upon, such as color and line weight of contour lines, that should readily be available in any document.

thanks, jim, for you attention.

ps: after years of bitching, i am enjoying vw 2015...some things to work on, but a big step in the right direction.