combine multiple extrude and loft nurbs

Bas Vellekoop

Question

It would be great to have a tool that combines these two.

In multiple extrude its handy that you have the editing history with the different sections, but you cant say on wich height you want to have the different sections.

This is possible in loft nurbs, but you dont have the editing history.

Lets combine! :)

Edited by Buzz Lightyear

3 answers to this question

Could be OK

But the NURBS loft already almost has a history if Keep Curves is enabled. I mean deleting the surface, adjusting source curves and relofting is about the same number of clicks as jumping back through history and editing the source.

The source curves can be kept in their own class or layer if isolation is needed.

-B

What i like about multiple extrude is that you can use 2d object like arc`s, rectangles, circles etc. and edit these in the editing history, they dont change to nurbs curves.

In loft nurbs you have too redraw the 2d geometrie and then convert it to nurbs curves. You loose some intu?tieve editing possibilties by this.

What i would like the most is no difference between nurbs curves and 2d rectangles/circels/etc.

If vectorworks 'under the hood' changes everything to nurbes i don`t care (because of export issues etc.), but i want to have the most control over the 2d objects even after the creation of a loft or extrude along path or ...

And yes you can put the source curves in another layer or class, but vectorworks has for this a better solution that is already there: the editing history. As a desinger you never have to worry about this command and you never accidentally turn on the wrong layer or class in your renders (little frustration on my part :crazy:).

So lets merge these 2 commands in 1 excellent command. :-)

Edited by Buzz Lightyear

I really don't want Vectorworks to abandon "pure", lofted NURBS surfaces (without history). Lofts are super efficient users of hardware, render resources, etc.

But I'm OK with expanding functionality of extrude or multiple extrude to work with planar and non planar NURBS sources with history. Note that NURBS do not necessarily begin as converted 2d shapes, so the history will not aways jump back to 2d planar geometry.

My own related wish for edits of NURBS surfaces:

Better availability of conversion to to interpolated surfaces (surface passes through all the vertices). The conversion often fails - command only works on untrimmed surfaces, and most of my surfaces are trimmed. Direct edit by dragging or numeric control of vertices would be great - kind of like Mesh edit.

-B